Hamas has said it will delay the release of more hostages after accusing Israel of violating their ceasefire deal.
It said a handover scheduled for Saturday would not go ahead.
In a statement, a spokesman for the Qassam Brigades claimed that over the past three weeks violations had included “delaying the return of the displaced to the northern Gaza Strip, and targeting them with shelling and gunfire”.
Abu Obeida said they remained committed to the deal if Israel kept to the terms, but the handover on 15 February was postponed “until the occupation commits to and compensates for the past weeks retroactively”.
The last release of hostages was at the weekend, when three Israeli men and five Thai men were freed.
They were among about 250 people taken during the October 2023 Hamas terror attack that killed around 1,200 people.
The hostage deal began last month and more than 730 Palestinian prisoners have been released by Israel in exchange, and there’s also been a crucial truce in the Gaza War.
Israeli police confiscate books and arrest owners in raid on Palestinian-run bookshop in east Jerusalem
Trump latest: US president says Palestinians will have no right to return to Gaza – as British industry facing ‘devastating’ tariff blow
Why China could benefit most from Trump’s tariffs
Five swaps have taken place so far, with 21 hostages set free by Hamas after 14 months of captivity.
It comes as President Trump reiterated his deeply controversial proposal for the US to take over Gaza, rebuild it, and move out Palestinians.
He said he was committed to “buying and owning” the enclave, which has been almost completely flattened by Israeli bombardment.
Arab countries would agree to take in Palestinians after speaking with him, Mr Trump said, adding that its residents would leave if they had a choice.
“They don’t want to return to Gaza. If we could give them a home in a safer area – the only reason they’re talking about returning to Gaza is they don’t have an alternative,” he said.
On Sunday, Israeli forces also began pulling back from a key passage through Gaza as part of the ceasefire deal.
The four-mile-long Netzarim corridor separates northern Gaza from the south and many Palestinians have now been crossing to survey the devastation of their homes.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.
Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
You can receive breaking news alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News app. You can also follow us on WhatsApp and subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.