The UK looks almost certain to host the 2035 Women’s World Cup after FIFA’s president said there was only “one valid bid” for the competition.
Gianni Infantino, speaking at the UEFA congress in Belgrade, Serbia, said: “We received one bid for 2031 and one bid – one valid bid I should add – for 2035.
“The 2035 bid is from Europe, from the home nations.
“So the path is there.”
Spain’s football federation president, Rafael Louzan, had announced his own country’s intention to bid last week along with Portugal and Morocco, but Infantino indicated no formal bid had been made before the deadline three days ago.
Mark Bullingham, the chief executive of the English Football Association, said: “We are honoured to be the sole bidder for the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2035.
“Hosting the first FIFA World Cup since 1966 with our home nations partners will be very special.
Seven-figure settlement agreed in Celtic Boys Club abuse cases
Police reach decision over Old Firm derby water bottle incident involving Rangers star Vaclav Cerny
Rangers star Vaclav Cerny probed by Police Scotland after spraying water bottle at Celtic fans during Old Firm match
“The hard work starts now, to put together the best possible bid by the end of the year.”
Mr Infantino also confirmed the United States was the sole bidder for 2031, potentially alongside other nations from the North and Central American football confederations.
The deadline for initial expressions of interest passed on Monday, before full proposals will be submitted by November.
A decision is then set to be made toward the middle of 2026.
This means the joint-UK bid is set to proceed unopposed to the FIFA Congress next year, where it could be voted through by acclamation, similar to how the Saudi Arabian bid for the 2034 men’s World Cup was last December.
The UK bid will still be subject to the usual FIFA checks.
Follow our channel and never miss an update
Read more from Sky News:
Emma Raducanu pulls out of GB squad
Britons urged to stop mowing lawns
Tributes paid to Top Gun star Val Kilmer
Sky News previously reported that the four nations were planning a joint bid to host the competition.
Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said in a statement last month the planned bid had his government’s “full support”.
He added: “Football is and always will be at the core of our country’s identity. Whether we watch on TV, play at the weekends like I do, or simply enjoy soaking up the atmosphere in the pub, it brings communities together like little else.”
Sky News revealed last year the British bid could also be boosted by the tournament’s potential expansion from 32 to 48 nations.
Be the first to get Breaking News
Install the Sky News app for free
The Three Lionesses lost the 2023 World Cup final 1-0 to Spain, in Sydney.
England has only hosted the World Cup once, when its men’s team won in 1966.