A ‘vile’ former police officer who was caught in a sting operation after travelling to meet what he thought was a 14-year-old boy has been jailed.
Thomas Kettleborough, 35, then an inspector with Avon and Somerset Police, was arrested in July 2023 while attempting to meet up with ‘the teenager’ after communicating with him on Grindr and Snapchat.
However, he was actually speaking to undercover officers.
After being detained at a car park in Bristol, officers found a bag in the boot of his car containing “an assortment of sex toys, condoms and bondage equipment, including a pair of limb restraints,” Exeter Crown Court heard.
More than 150 indecent images of children were also discovered on his phone and computer.
Kettleborough used the apps to have sexually explicit chats with the teenager, using the name Liam, while claiming to be 28, prosecutors said.
In February, he pleaded guilty to several child sex offences, including attempting to engage in sexual communication with a child and attempting to cause or incite a child to engage in sexual activity.
Last month he was sacked by Avon and Somerset Police and barred from policing for gross misconduct.
He was sentenced to two years and eight months in prison on Thursday.
Assistant Chief Constable Joanne Hall, from Avon and Somerset Police, said the public would be “appalled by the vile and manipulative actions of this former officer”.
She added: “He was caught following a policing operation designed to keep children safe which has resulted in his wider offending being identified.”
Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News
Detective Inspector Dave Wells, who led the investigation, said Kettleborough’s crimes took place over four years,
The former officer held positions of trust in the police, the Sea Cadets and the Royal Lifesaving Society, but “concealed his true identity through an online persona as ‘Liam’, ‘L S’ and ‘Liamss5506’,” Mr Wells said.
Mr Wells added: “Specialist investigators are ready to listen and investigate any reports relating to Thomas Kettleborough or any other matters of concern. I want people to know that they will be believed.
“Thomas Kettleborough is now behind bars. I hope if there are others that have been affected by this case, they now feel empowered to tell someone, if they are ready to do so.”
Read more from Sky News:
Luton Airport expansion approved
Prince Harry responds to charity row
Appeal launched to help earthquake victims
Be the first to get Breaking News
Install the Sky News app for free
Lee Bremridge, defending, said Kettleborough had shown genuine remorse for his crimes.
He added that the former officer had “done everything that he can attempt to do to try and understand why it is he committed the offences that he did.”
Kettleborough was also handed an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order and will be on the Sex Offenders’ Register for life.